Thursday, August 4, 2011

Soup-Corn and Carrot Soup

      Cooking the corn and carrot soup in Guangzhou, my hometown, using the slow cooker of the Chinese kind, I came up with that once I have the oxtail soup in one of my classmates’ home and her family cooked the soup also with a slow cooker.
At that time, I puzzled. The fact I first realized is that westerners also have the slow cooker which varies a lot with ours. I think the translation from Chinese to English should be improved, at least about this cook ware.
BUT I can’t tell clearly what their differences were and how they worked differently. After sharing this recipe, I will write a comparison and product review on this topic. Here I’ll show you one common Cantonese simmering soup, also known as long-time cooked soup. The corn and carrot soup can be of different tastes using different cook wares! How essential the wares are?


Left is western, right is Chinese.
  


Ingredients:
  • 1 pearl corn, chopped into 1" length
  • 1 carrot, peeled and cut into pieces
  • 300g pork ribs or tail bones, chopped into pieces
    spring onion, chopped (for garnishing)
  • 1.5L of hot boiling water

Seasonings:
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Several pieces of ginger
Method:
1. No need to bone out the ribs or tail bones. Just leave them boiled together.
2. Put everything in the slow cooker, except salt. Leave the soup boiling.
3. You can add other seasoning but please don’t make this a creamy soup in a slow cooker.


Time:
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins to 1½ hours

Yield: serves 2 to 3

    This soup’s look is far simpler than the rich flavor. The purple clay cooking pot of the Chinese slow cooker can enrich the flavor. If you can have one, you will certainly admire the beautiful red pot. The reason for this is the clay can balance the heat and preserve the steam so that to contract the entire flavor together. Amazing huh?
    I know the Chinese slow cooker may be not so easy to find, but I will try to search the Internet and provide a referral link to you and let you also enjoy home-making of Chinese soup.

Enjoy your homemade flavor!
Remember:
1.      Cooking time would be slightly varied between different cooking wares.
2.      Chinese dish can have a flexible ingredient proportion. Keeping trying and you will cook your new flavor. You may use other seasoning as well.



If you tried, don’t hesitate to share. Picture? Words? Essays? WELCOME!
Have difficulties? Let me help you. 

1 comment:

LinkWithin (you may also llike)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...