I don’t think people should be blamed on their choice of eating too much meat and too little vegetables. You may face to dried leaves and shrunken cucumbers after 3 to 4 days preservation in ordinary temperature. The process of having fresh vegetables can be inconvenient in our neighborhood. For me, even I am a student, I can only buy eating stuffs once a week. So I recommend a dish whose ingredients can be bought in supermarkets and can be preserved freshly both in ordinary temperature and in fridges. Amazingly, you may say Hey! They Look FRESH!
HEALTH food, EASY to cook!
- 170 gm sugar snap peas
- 150 gm chicken breast
- ½ carrot, sliced
- 6 baby corns, fresh or canned, halved if too long
- 5 to 6 cloud ears
- 2 tsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp chicken stock
- 1½ tsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp corn flour
- ½ tsp sugar
- pepper, to taste
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 10 mins
Yield: serves 3 to 4
Not all the peas can be eaten raw because their grassy taste. This kind is called sugar peas or snap peas, which have round pods as opposed to the flat shape of snow peas. Sugar peas taste sweeter than other kinds so I like them very much.
Stir-fried can be done with pans too, such as deep frying pan. If you are like me, a student living in dorm with a roommate, and there is no pan then you can use other kinds of cooker like induction cookers. Don’t worry about the stiring or mixing technique, they are similar to mixing in western cooking.
- Soak cloud ears until softened. Boil them in water for 2 to 3 minutes. Trim the roots. Cut into smaller pieces for nice looking and easy stiring. Set aside.
- Julienne chicken and mix with marinade. Set aside.
- Remove the tissue running along both sides of the peas, from tail to top. If you want them to be crispy, then rinse and blanch them in salted water for about 2 to 3 minutes, over high heat. Immediately soak in cold water until cold to touch. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until its color turns white. Set aside.
- Use the same wok. Add more oil. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add carrots, baby corns and stir fry. Toss back peas. Sprinkle wine, pour in stock. Season with salt. Add cloud ears and cook until sauce dries up a bit. Add chicken and stir quickly. Pour in thickening and cook to preferred consistency. Serve hot.
Enjoy your homemade flavor!
Remember: Cooking time would be slightly varied between different cooking wares.