Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Dessert – Not only bake cakes by oven!


       Last time, I shared my experience on blog that I made the B-day cake for my mom. Here again, I show you how to baked cakes in a rice cooker.
Last month, I used my rice cooker instead of cooking rice in it, I baked an orange cake! Yes! I BAKED a cake in it – not steamed, not boiled.

When I saw the recipes in Internet, I wasn’t having any expectations of cakes baked in a rice cooker. But I was really amazed by the fluffy cakes texture that were evenly cooked throughout –a perfectly normal looking and tasting cake as we would have it if it was baked in an actual oven! It’s just little burned and little hard bits at the bottom :P, but tasty!


Ingredients:
5 eggs
180gm self-raising flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
100gm castor sugar
50gm oil
1 orange, finely grated zest
3 tbsp orange juice

Method:
1. Beat the eggs and caster sugar under high speed until fluffy, about 15 mins.
2. Add the orange zest and orange juice. Gently fold in the sifted flour and baking powder with plastic spatula.
3. Pour in the sunflower oil and mix well with spatula.
4. Using spatula, transfer the batter into inner pot of rice cooker.
5. Bake the cake using "quick cook" menu.
6. About 20 mins, it’ll turn to “thermal insulation”, keep warm half hours, and then use “quick cook” again. After it is finished, keep warm about 30 mins.
7. When it is done, leave it cool. Upside turns the pot to leave the cake bottom-up on a big plate.


The hand-mixer I used:

In my hand, it was a 5-speed hand mixer and I think 5-speed is enough for ordinary use for rice cooker cakes and cupcakes for the foam can be beaten not as smooth as those made by bakeries.
The other picture is a 5-speed hand mixer I found in a website that is not so famous but sells products with reasonable price and receives positive reviews. Moreover, this hand mixer sold with two chromed beaters & hooks which can save additional time and money to buy another pair. $20 for this and $40 for Cuisinart. It also has the instruction manual to download right below the description. I read this and I think it okay.

I also found several cupcakes recipes, maybe next time I’ll try to make rice cooker cupcakes! Which flavor do you like most? Let me know!







Enjoy your homemade flavor!
Remember:
1. Cooking time would be slightly varied between different cooking wares.
2. Dessert can have a flexible ingredient proportion. Keeping trying and you will cook your new flavor.


If you tried, don’t hesitate to share. Picture? Words? Essays? WELCOME!
Have difficulties? Let me help you. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by!
    This looks delicious...I can't believe it was baked in a rice cooker!
    Very cool :)

    xo Emily Lynne

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin (you may also llike)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...